Home > Local History > History of Eastergate

History of Eastergate


EASTERGATE

BARNHAM AND EASTERGATE c. 1939

The parish of Eastergate, (fn. 1)  which lies on thecoastal plain north-east of Bognor Regis, includes Barnham railway station and most of thebuilt-up area described as Barnham in 1993; thesite of the 19th- and 20th-century Barnhammarket also lay within it. The ancient parish had918 a. (372 ha.); (fn. 2)  a small area was transferred toBarnham in 1985. (fn. 3)  In the Middle Ages bothparish and manor were generally called Gate orGates, but the modern name was in use by the15th century. (fn. 4)  The present article deals with theparish as constituted before 1985.

In the south-west and south-east the boundaryruns along streams, and in the west and northit partly follows the modern Church Lane,Fontwell Avenue, and Arundel Road. Theoutline of boundaries suggests that Eastergateand Barnham, perhaps with Yapton too, mayonce have formed a single administrative area.

The southern part of the parish lies on brickearthand the northern part, including the site of themodern village, on valley gravel; there is alluvium in the valleys of the Barnham brook andLidsey rife in the south-east and south-west,and a little London clay east and north-east ofBarnham station; (fn. 5)  severe flooding was experiencedin the latter area in the later 20th century. (fn. 6)  Aspring in the northern tip of the parish gave itsname to the modern settlement of Fontwell. (fn. 7)  Asin other coastal-plain parishes there were severalponds in Eastergate in 1845. (fn. 8)

Woodland on the manor yielded five swine in1086, (fn. 9)  but in 1558-9 there were only 12 a. ofwoods, mostly oak; pasture closes then mentioned which included the elements ‘wood’ or’rede’ were presumably assarts from woodland. (fn. 10) Oak, ash, and elm grew in Eastergate in the 18thcentury, (fn. 11)  and in 1845 there were 6 a. of woods. (fn. 12) The less fertile north end of the parish remainedopen heathland until 1779. (fn. 13)  In the late 19th and20th centuries much land was orchards or marketgardens; (fn. 14)  in 1993 other chief uses were housingand paddocks for horses.

Settlement.

There is evidence for Romanoccupation, including possibly a villa site, nearthe church; the south wall of the chancel incorporates Roman brick. Settlement seems to havecontinued in the same area in the Middle Ages. (fn. 15) Several pre-20th-century buildings are groupednorth and north-west of the church, includingManor Farmhouse and its outbuildings. (fn. 16)  TheOld House is 17th-century, timber-framed, witha moulded brick string course on part of theexterior. One gable wall was replaced in brick inthe late 17th century and the other rebuilt in flintand brick in the late 18th century or early 19th. (fn. 17) Eastergate House further east is late 18th- orearly 19th-century, with a three-bayed front offlint with brick dressings.

Another group of older houses (fn. 18)  stands ¼ mile(400 metres) to the north, at the junction ofChurch Lane, Fontwell Avenue, and Nyton andBarnham roads. Flint House was apparently atimber-framed building of late medieval originand had a three-roomed plan with a largechimneystack on the north lateral wall of themain room. During the 17th century and early18th the outer walls were largely rebuilt in flintand brick and the roof was replaced. In the mid18th century a wing was added to the northcontaining principal rooms and a staircase.Malthouse cottages nearby were originally asingle house of the early 17th century; its timberframing was largely replaced by flint and brickin the late 17th and 18th centuries, and there aremoulded brick mullions and hoodmoulds on thefront. The building was converted to cottages c.1800. The island site of Shelley House and itsadjacent shop at the top of Church Lane, apparently settled by 1596, (fn. 19)  presumably representsencroachment on waste land. Shelley House, andthe White House to the east of it, are externally18th-century, of rubble, brick, and flint, partlyrendered or painted.

The two settlements remained separate in 1845,when there were c. 20 houses there in all,including the new rectory, besides others nearbyin Aldingbourne parish forming part of the samegroup. (fn. 20)  The area between Barnham Road andthe church was further developed with housesand bungalows in the 20th century, part of therectory grounds being built over, and a marketgarden and poultry farm being replaced withstreets c. 1983. (fn. 21)  In 1993 the church could beapproached only through the farmyard of Manorfarm, which almost had the character of a villagegreen. (fn. 22)  The junction of Nyton and Barnhamroads with Fontwell Avenue retained two opengrass islands in the early 20th century; one hada prominent tree, (fn. 23)  and the village war memorialincorporating a stone lion was constructed onthe other c. 1920. (fn. 24)  Road widening had removedpart of the grass by 1993.

Several houses were built from the 16th century or earlier on roadside waste along Barnhamroad. (fn. 25)  One immediately east of its junction withthe modern Fontwell Avenue is probably timberframed and is faced with flint and brick; it bearsa datestone of the 1690s. Buildings opposite thesite of the railway station included an inn, thepredecessor of the Railway, later Barnham, hotel. (fn. 26)

There were said to be many new cottages in1867, (fn. 27)  but the opening of Barnham station wasnot immediately followed by building nearby. (fn. 28) A terrace of brick houses east of the Barnhamhotel which belonged c. 1910 to the London,Brighton, and South Coast Railway (fn. 29)  had presumably been built by the company: it wasapparently the ‘railway cottages’ mentioned in1886. (fn. 30)

The market gardener E. J. Marshall hadapparently begun to put up houses on what hecalled the Barnham Park estate in 1896, (fn. 31)  but thedevelopment of the area first known as BarnhamJunction (fn. 32)  and later as West Barnham (fn. 33)  followedimmediately on the purchase by the Marshallfamily of virtually the whole northern half of theparish from the ecclesiastical commissioners inor shortly before 1899. The land was let for 35years in 1900 to a company called West BarnhamEstate (fn. 34)  and by 1901 building had begun, theland already increasing greatly in value. (fn. 35)  By 1910much of Barnham Road, Elm Grove, and ElmGrove South had been developed, while Downview Road had been marked out for building andtwo houses erected there. The spacious layout ofthe estate, with large detached houses, shrubberies,and roadside trees and verges, (fn. 36)  has been compared with London suburbs like Wimbledon, (fn. 37) Ealing, and Dulwich. (fn. 38)  Smaller houses were alsoput up; some were for nursery workers, (fn. 39)  but sixat the west end of Elm Grove may have been builtby the coal merchant Harry Knight. (fn. 40)

By 1950 the roads named were almost fullydeveloped. (fn. 41)  Most of Elm Grove remainedprivate in 1992. There were then more recentlybuilt houses among the earlier ones, some of thelatter having been converted to flats or nursinghomes.

New houses were put up at the end of ElmGrove South by 1965, (fn. 42)  and between that date andthe late 1970s the former Station nursery north ofthe Barnham hotel was developed as Orchard Wayand adjacent roads, with a mixture of houses andbungalows, including some terraces; (fn. 43)  on theeastern fringe were council houses.

The immediate surroundings of the stationwere said in 1972 to have an ‘impermanent’,’makeshift’ character; (fn. 44)  that was less marked 20years later, when the recently built shoppingcentre provided a focus, though the formerstation yard on the south side of Barnham Roadremained ramshackle.

A few buildings had been put up at the southend of Eastergate common by 1778, includingwhat was later the poorhouse in Fontwell Avenue. (fn. 45) There seems to have been no settlement in thenorth end of the parish until the 19th century. (fn. 46) Fontwell House is a small 19th-century buildingof square plan with a three-bayed east front. Itwas perhaps altered c. 1910 by the residentowner A. J. Day, and a large ‘luncheon room’was added on the south side in 1923-4 to servethe new racecourse opened at that time; it has aCorinthian colonnade brought from Richmond(Surr.). Stonework from elsewhere, includingArundel castle, was also used in the grounds, forinstance in gate piers, in balustrading, and in acircular summerhouse. (fn. 47)  A small building westof Fontwell House was converted as a post officeat the same period using medieval mouldedstonework; (fn. 48)  it survived in 1995. A few houseshad been built in the angle between FontwellAvenue and Wandleys Lane by 1910; morehouses and bungalows were put up later in the20th century, both there, along Wandleys Laneitself, and in Eastergate Lane; (fn. 49)  in Eastergate Laneis a terrace of nursery workers’ cottages.

Twenty-eight tenants of Eastergate manor,perhaps including some in Madehurst, wererecorded in 1086 (fn. 50)  and 15 taxpayers were assessedin the vill in 1327. (fn. 51)  Thirty-seven adult malessigned the protestation in 1642 (fn. 52)  and 60 adultswere listed in 1676. (fn. 53)  In 1724 there were 17families. (fn. 54)  The population in 1801 was 163 andit remained about the same, apart from anunexplained increase in the 1830s, until 1881. Itthen rose continuously, with especially largeincreases in the 1900s and 1960s, to 606 in 1911,943 in 1951, 2,115 in 1971, and 3,018 in 1991. (fn. 55)

Communications.

The Roman road fromChichester to Brighton seems to have run throughthe north part of the parish, (fn. 56)  and was succeededby the modern Chichester-Arundel road whichformed part of the northern boundary beforewidening and reconstruction in the 1980s. Theparish is bisected by the road from Chichesterto Cudlow in Climping recorded from the early13th century. (fn. 57)  Barnham bridge, by which itcrossed the Barnham brook on the boundarywith Barnham, is discussed above. (fn. 58)  The alignment of the road east of Barnham station wasaltered when the railway embankment wasconstructed c. 1846. (fn. 59)

A road to Walberton, apparently using thelower part of Fontwell Avenue, was mentionedin 1229, (fn. 60)  and the road to Slindon recorded in1304 (fn. 61)  was evidently the same. The continuationof the Walberton road, the modern EastergateLane, was Stotham Lane in 1596. (fn. 62)  In 1724the line of the modern Wandleys Lane formedpart of a suggested route between Pagham andArundel. (fn. 63)  Fontwell Avenue and Wandleys Lanewere given their modern straight courses at theinclosure of Eastergate common in 1779. (fn. 64)  Thetrees flanking the northern part of the formerroad were planted between 1896 and 1910. (fn. 65) The ‘new lane’ and ‘the park way street’ mentioned in 1596 (fn. 66)  have not been located.

There was a carrier in 1851. (fn. 67)  Carriers plied toChichester in 1886 (fn. 68)  and to Bognor Regis andBrighton as well in 1934. (fn. 69)  Cabs could be hired atthe Railway inn from 1874 or earlier, (fn. 70)  and therewas a taxi office at Barnham station in 1992. Motorbuses from Bognor to Slindon passed through theparish by 1924 (fn. 71)  and buses from Chichester toLittlehampton by 1927. (fn. 72)  In 1965 the formerservice continued but the latter went only toYapton. (fn. 73)  In 1992 there were regular buses toBognor Regis and Yapton and less frequent onesto Chichester, Arundel, and elsewhere.

The Shoreham-Chichester railway was openedthrough the parish in 1846, with a station atWoodgate in Aldingbourne south of Westergate. (fn. 74)  At the opening of the Bognor branch line,as a single track, in 1864, a junction station calledBarnham was opened in the south-east corner ofEastergate parish. (fn. 75)  Through trains from Londonto Bognor began running in 1903 (fn. 76)  and in 1911 thetrack was doubled. (fn. 77)  Refreshment rooms wereopened on the station by 1895 and a newsagent’sby 1909; (fn. 78)  both remained in 1993. A new stationbuilding was put up before 1938, (fn. 79)  when thelines were electrified. (fn. 80)  The goods station closedin 1964. (fn. 81)  In 1996, besides frequent services toLondon, Brighton, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton,Portsmouth, and Bournemouth, there wereoccasional trains to Reading (Berks.) and toSouth Wales via Bristol.

A public house was mentioned in 1606, (fn. 82)  aninn in 1686, (fn. 83)  and a victualler from 1799. (fn. 84)  Itis not clear if any can be connected with theWilkes Head in the village recorded from1845, (fn. 85)  the reason for whose name is uncertain.The City Arms inn on Barnham Road in thesouth-east corner of the parish, recorded between1809 and 1817, (fn. 86)  was later called the BarnhamBridge inn (fn. 87)  and between 1845 and 1862 theKnights of Malta; further changes of namemade it the Railway inn by 1866, the Railwayhotel by 1895, (fn. 88)  and the Barnham hotel by1965. (fn. 89)  A three-bayed building apparently ofthe 18th century or earlier 19th (fn. 90)  was replacedc. 1907 (fn. 91)  by the present, much larger, one. In1861 a bowling alley adjoined it (fn. 92)  and in 1874and later the publican was also a cab proprietorand coal merchant. (fn. 93)  The hotel was a popularvenue for wedding receptions, dinners, anddances in 1965 (fn. 94)  and accommodated fortnightlyauctions in 1992. (fn. 95)

Social and cultural activities.

In 1623 thevestry agreed that a maypole which had previously been in use should be turned into aladder for church purposes. (fn. 96)  A Rogationtideprocession, to which occupiers of land broughtcakes, was held at the same period. (fn. 97)

A village hall in Barnham Road was opened in1908; it was provided by A. J. Day of FontwellHouse and others, and with two rifle ranges wasto serve also as a training centre for the territorialarmy. The main room is decorated with scenes fromSussex history by the painter Byam Shaw. (fn. 98)  It wasin frequent use in 1993 by local groups includingthe Eastergate players. The market room of Barnhammarket also accommodated club meetings anddances in the early 20th century. (fn. 99)

Cricket was played on a field south of WandleysLane in or before 1845. (fn. 1)  The recreation groundnear the junction of Barnham Road and FontwellAvenue was presented to the parish by WilliamCollins in the early 20th century; (fn. 2)  in 1992 bothcricket and football were played there. AnEastergate football club and a Barnham andEastergate cricket club based in Eastergate hadexisted by 1910. (fn. 3)  In 1992 there were also clubsfor badminton, stoolball, bowls, and table tennis.Fontwell racecourse, straddling the boundarywith Aldingbourne, was opened in 1924, and hasan oval hurdle course and a figure-of-eightsteeplechase course. (fn. 4)  Fourteen fixtures a yearwere held in 1974, besides other social events. (fn. 5)

The Bognor Water Co. in 1895 constructed awell and pumping station off Fontwell Avenuein the north end of the parish; the village wassupplied by 1909 (fn. 6)  and the vicinity of Barnhamstation by 1912. The Bognor Gas Co. providedgas to the latter area by the same date (fn. 7)  and moregenerally by 1938. (fn. 8)  Electricity was laid on in the1930s by Chichester corporation (fn. 9)  and streetlighting by the same body in 1946. (fn. 10)  Maindrainage was installed c. 1974. (fn. 11)

The ‘Clubmen’ movement of 1645 had afollowing in Eastergate. (fn. 12)  Barracks south-east ofthe village, presumably of the Napoleonic period,were commemorated from 1845 by addresses anda field name. (fn. 13)

The composer John Ireland often stayed in theparish in the early 20th century, and named ahymn tune after it. (fn. 14)

MANOR.

The manor of GATE, later EASTERGATE, which occupied most of the area of theparish in 1861, (fn. 15)  was held in 1066 by KingHarold and in 1086 by Sées abbey (Orne) of earlRoger, who had given it to them in free almsshortly before. (fn. 16)  In 1415 it was transferred withthe rest of the Sées estates to Syon abbey(Mdx.). (fn. 17)  After the Dissolution it was retainedby the Crown (fn. 18)  until granted in 1560 to RichardBaker and Sir Richard Sackville. (fn. 19)  Sackville in1564-5 exchanged it with the dean and chapterof Chichester, (fn. 20)  which thereafter had it until themid 19th century. Between the mid 16th centuryand the later 18th the demesnes were leased tomembers of the related Rose, Sheldon, andDolben families; (fn. 21)  their successors in 1845 weretwo members of the Bine family. (fn. 22)

In 1860 the manor was made over to theecclesiastical commissioners, (fn. 23)  who in 1865 reallotted 404 a. as part of the endowment ofChichester cathedral. (fn. 24)  That land remained inthe hands of the church commissioners, successorsto the ecclesiastical commissioners, in 1993. (fn. 25) Much of the land was held in 1861 by twotenants, Thomas Wisden with 349 a., mostlyleasehold, and James Hamilton, marquess ofAbercorn, with 267 a. leasehold and copyhold;in addition the marquess owned 87 a. outside themanor. (fn. 26)  In or shortly before 1899 the ecclesiastical commissioners sold land including most ofthe northern half of the parish to the marketgardening firm of S. S. Marshall Ltd., which in1900 leased 470 a. for 35 years to a developmentcompany called West Barnham Estate. After alarge area had been developed for housing thatcompany was wound up in 1930. (fn. 27)

A manor house on Eastergate manor with adovecot and garden was recorded in 1379; (fn. 28)  in1534 a chapel was alluded to (fn. 29)  and in 1558-9 thebuilding had a Horsham stone roof. (fn. 30)  The presentManor Farmhouse is a large and massive timberframed building of the mid or late 16th century,which has a central range with rooms on twofloors and long north and south wings making aU-plan with the open side to the west; the northwing contained the kitchen and the south wingthe living accommodation. There is close studding on the west face of the building, and theinfilling of the timber frame includes brick andflint. The south and west walls contain ashlarblocks presumably either from the previousbuilding or from the church. There are remainsof original painted decoration on beams in oneroom of the south wing. A fireplace in the samewing has a moulded lintel. The staircase is18th-century.

Extensive farm buildings to the north and westinclude a granary on staddle stones and a largebarn with a 16th-century roof and 16th-centurydiapered brickwork in its east wall; it may be thebarn roofed with stone mentioned in 1558-9. (fn. 31)

Free warren was claimed at Eastergate in thelate 13th century, (fn. 32)  but no park is known.

ECONOMIC HISTORY.

Agriculture.

Thechief open fields and furlongs of the parish inthe Middle Ages (fn. 33)  were Southfield south ofBarnham road, (fn. 34)  Northfield between Barnhamroad and Fontwell Avenue, (fn. 35)  the Broomes, (fn. 36)  theStaines, (fn. 37)  and Stotham (fn. 38)  south of EastergateLane, and the Rough rakes north of the laterrailway station. (fn. 39)  Others were Adderush, also inthe east, (fn. 40)  Garston, south of Barnham Road, (fn. 41) and ‘Elesstumble’. (fn. 42)  Mention of a stile in Northfield in 1304 (fn. 43)  indicates partial inclosure by thatdate, and in the 1460s and 70s tenants of themanor were ordered to repair fences in andbetween several of the fields. (fn. 44)  Stotham wasapparently being inclosed in 1506, when thetenants’ pasture rights on the stubble there wereexchanged for rights elsewhere. (fn. 45)  In 1510, however,the recent inclosure of a rood in ‘Elstombyll’ wasordered to be undone; (fn. 46)  pasture rights for sheepin the remaining fields were redefined in 1521; (fn. 47) and a term for arable fields (campis seminal’) wasstill in use in 1543. (fn. 48)  Inclosure seems likely tohave been complete by 1596, when much ofthe area of the fields was in small pasturecloses; (fn. 49)  there is no later indication of communalagricultural practices.

The north end of the parish supplied commonheathland. (fn. 50)  The manor demesne farm in 1378-9had 16 cow leazes and 200 sheep leazes. (fn. 51)  In the17th century each tenant of a yardland claimed20 sheep leazes on what was by then calledEastergate common and the farmer of the demesne 60; by 1649 part of the common had beeninclosed and added to the demesne farm. (fn. 52)  Thatthe remaining area was not adequate to thetenants’ needs is indicated by a presentment atthe manor court for overstocking sheep in 1671and by general restrictions on pasturing cattleand horses and on taking bracken in the 18thcentury. (fn. 53)  The tenants’ claim to dig marl therewas disputed at the later period. (fn. 54)  The commonwas inclosed by private agreement in 1779; ofthe 102 a. which it then comprised 9 tenantsreceived allotments of between 4 a. and 19 a. and8 others smaller amounts, the total number ofplots being 33, mostly small. (fn. 55)

The demesne farm had 221 a. of several pasture in 1558-9. (fn. 56)  In 1778 Manor Farmhouse wasadjoined by pasture closes to south, south-west,and south-east. (fn. 57)

There were 4 a. of meadow on the demesnefarm in 1086, (fn. 58)  6 a. in 1378-9, (fn. 59)  and 21 a. in1558-9. (fn. 60)  No common meadow is known.

The demesne farm had 206 a. in 1378-9, (fn. 61)  330a. in 1558-9, (fn. 62)  and 262 a. in 1649. (fn. 63)  It was leasedfrom the early 15th century; (fn. 64)  in the mid 16thleases were for 21 or 30 years but between 1595and the mid 19th century for three lives. (fn. 65)

The 18 villani and 10 cottars listed on themanor in 1086 (fn. 66)  are presumably represented bythe free tenants and neifs mentioned in the 14thcentury (fn. 67)  and the freeholders and copyholdersrecorded from the later 15th. (fn. 68)  About 40 personsowed suit to the manor court c. 1406. (fn. 69)  Eightfreeholders including the rector were listed in1473 and 1639. (fn. 70)  Three freeholds in 1473 consisted of one yardland each, a yardland in 1558-9being 20 a.; the two which lay in Madehurst werepresumably former manorial outliers. The numberof copyholders fluctuated between 15 and 22 inthe period 1473-1596 (fn. 71)  but by 1639 had fallento 10. Many copyholds were single or halfyardlands in 1473, and by the later 16th centuryamalgamation had produced one holding of twoand a half yardlands (50 a.); others then rangedin size from 5 a. to 27 a. and there were also fourcopyhold cottages. (fn. 72)  Copyholds were generallyheld for three lives from the later 16th century; (fn. 73) they could be sublet by 1515 (fn. 74)  and mortgagedby 1667. (fn. 75)

By 1779 there were only 17 tenants in all. (fn. 76) Some manorial tenancies were converted toleaseholds in the 17th and 18th centuries, (fn. 77)  and in1861 of 748 a. held of the manor 188 a. werecopyhold for lives and 561 a. leasehold, mostly alsofor lives. (fn. 78)  From the mid 17th century membersof the Boniface family were prominent among thetenants, (fn. 79)  but in 1861 most of the manor land washeld by James Hamilton, marquess of Abercorn(267 a.), or Thomas Wisden (349 a.). (fn. 80)

In the mid 16th century pastoral farming wasapparently dominant, the demesne farm having 221a. of pasture, including former woodland, to 76 a.of arable. (fn. 81)  In the 17th and 18th centuries (fn. 82)  cattle,sheep, pigs, and geese were widely kept; from thelater 17th century several flocks of over 100 sheepwere mentioned, including two of over 300 in 1679and 1713. Crops grown in the same period werewheat, clearly the most important, barley, (fn. 83)  oats,peas, tares, vetches, and hemp. (fn. 84)  Grasses wereintroduced by 1728 and turnips by 1770.

Large farms in the 17th and 18th centurieswere those of John Spicer (1679), with at least175 a. of crops, Richard Treagoose (1728), withat least 116 a., and John Boniface (1770), withat least 200 a. (fn. 85)

By the 1840s arable land (790 a.) was far moreimportant than meadow and pasture (85 a.). (fn. 86) The two largest holdings at that date werecentred on Manor Farmhouse (361 a.) andEastergate House to the north-west (240 a.), theothers being much smaller; only Manor farmand a holding of 40 a. worked from Tile barn onBarnham Road were single blocks of land, otherholdings being widely scattered. (fn. 87)  Between the1840s and c. 1875 many closes were amalgamated into larger ones, evidently for arable; thelargest had 80 a. (fn. 88)  In 1861, however, the marquessof Abercorn’s land (354 a.), including Wanley’sfarm (107 a.), was described as a desirable stockfarm, (fn. 89)  and the acreage under grass increased to194 a. in 1875 and 287 a. in 1909. (fn. 90)  A shepherdwas mentioned in 1881. (fn. 91)

In the early 20th century the largest farms wereManor farm (350 a.), what was apparently TileBarn farm (143 a.), and Wanley’s farm in thenorth (127 a.), (fn. 92)  and in 1909 there were also 13holdings under 50 a. in area. (fn. 93)  A poultry farmexisted in 1913, and by 1938 there were four. (fn. 94) One remained east of Fontwell Avenue in 1991; (fn. 95) another north of Church Lane, which was alsoa small market garden, had closed before c.1983. (fn. 96)  Over 500 cattle were kept in 1985, chieflyfor meat. (fn. 97)  By 1995 the only sizeable holding wasManor farm (350 a.), a mixed dairy and arableholding which was farmed with another holdingat Tangmere near Chichester. (fn. 98)  Forty-nine peoplewere employed in agriculture and marketgardening in 1985. (fn. 99)

Market gardening.

There were 8 a. of orchards in and around the village c. 1875. (fn. 1)  Marketgardening and fruit growing on a large scale,however, began after the arrival in the area ofthe Marshall family c. 1880. (fn. 2)  By 1896 what waslater called Station nursery, (fn. 3)  belonging to BarnhamNurseries Ltd., had been laid out north of thesite of Barnham market in Barnham Road. (fn. 4)  Ithad grown to 13 a. by 1913 (fn. 5)  and grew furtherby 1950, when there were glasshouses. (fn. 6)

By 1910 there were also market gardens andglasshouses further west, covering much of theland between Station nursery and Eastergatevillage. South of Barnham Road (fn. 7)  lay theBrooks nursery of John Poupart and the nursery of J. H. Robinson, both growing fruit. (fn. 8) Robinson sold his business to his brother-inlaw Jack Langmead in 1952. (fn. 9)  Another marketgarden occupied land in the village itself northof the church and manor house. (fn. 10)  North ofBarnham Road some orchards existed by 1910in the angle of Fontwell Avenue and EastergateLane and north of Wandleys Lane. (fn. 11)  By 1950virtually the whole area between FontwellAvenue, Wandleys Lane, and Barnham Roadwas orchards and glasshouses. (fn. 12)

Fruit farming flourished greatly by 1903,supplying the London markets, and by 1913there were seven firms including those mentioned. (fn. 13) In 1909 there were 29 a. under orchards,mostly for apples, and 15 a. growing smallfruit. (fn. 14)  By 1920 peaches were being suppliedto large country houses and ocean liners. (fn. 15)  Amarket gardener in Elm Grove pioneered theproduction of cultivated mushrooms in WestSussex in the early 20th century, and therewere two mushroom growers in 1934. By 1913the firm of Phipps and Ireland traded in a widevariety of plants and flowers including alpinesand rockery plants, (fn. 16)  while another businessexperimented with forcing outdoor daffodilsand growing chrysanthemums commercially. (fn. 17) One market gardener offered himself as a gardening instructor, presumably for laying outlarger gardens, by 1909. (fn. 18)

Barnham Nurseries’ Station nursery was closedbetween 1955 (fn. 19)  and 1965 and was later builtover. The market-garden site in the village alsosuccumbed to housing development in theearly 1980s. (fn. 20)  In 1985, however, there werestill 41 ha. (101 a.) of horticultural crops,notably apples, (fn. 21)  while one holding in 1982 hadpreviously grown chiefly salad vegetables. (fn. 22) Much of the land between the built-up areasof Eastergate and West Barnham remainedmarket gardens and glasshouses in 1993, producing fruit and flowers. (fn. 23)

Fair and markets.

A fair was held in the1790s, (fn. 24)  presumably on the close called Ten acrefair field on the east side of Fontwell Avenuerecorded in 1845. (fn. 25)

In 1882 W. R. Winter of North Bersted beganfortnightly Monday auction sales of fatstock alongside Barnham station; by 1885 the frequency wasweekly. From 1901 Stride and Son of Chichesterwere owners of what became known as Barnhammarket despite being in Eastergate parish. (fn. 26)  By1896 an additional site had been acquired north ofthe Railway hotel in Barnham Road; during thenext 14 years it expanded greatly, (fn. 27)  while theoriginal site ceased to be used. (fn. 28)  On the new site alarge cattle shed was built, and there were pens forsheep, pigs, and poultry. (fn. 29)  There was a cornexchange by 1903. (fn. 30)

An important Christmas fatstock show washeld in the early 20th century, at first followedby a dinner at the Railway hotel, and there werespecial sales, notably for lambs, at Easter andWhitsun. (fn. 31)

By 1929 the market had become one of thethree or four most important in Sussex; as a fatcattle market it rivalled Lewes, while the tradein sheep was also important. Trade had increasedconsiderably since before 1914, and numbers ofstock passing through in a recent typical yearwere 4,330 cattle, chiefly fat, 3,690 calves, 30,000sheep and lambs, chiefly fat, and 8,500 pigs, alsochiefly fat. The chief customers were butchersfrom the area between Portsmouth and Eastbourne, others from London and Birminghamoccasionally attending to buy pigs. About 20,000head of poultry a year were sold at the sameperiod, besides eggs, in both cases largely for thecoastal towns, while small quantities of fruit andvegetables were dealt with both wholesale andretail. The corn exchange did little business in1929, but horse sales were then held annually inspring. (fn. 32)

By 1945 business had greatly declined, partlybecause of rail transport’s replacement bylorries; the market’s hinterland was then apparentlyonly a few miles in radius, small produce mostlybeing sold. (fn. 33)  Stride and Son, who also ownedChichester market, therefore closed Barnhammarket in 1949, later holding the one at Chichester weekly instead of fortnightly. (fn. 34)

From 1953 the market-gardening firm of Langmead, Robinson and Co. occupied the site, usingthe former butter market as offices, the areabehind it for retailing fruit, vegetables, andflowers, and the former cattle market for wholesaling. (fn. 35)  By 1956 the corn merchants Alfred CortisLtd. had moved there, (fn. 36)  and the freehold of thesite passed in the following year to a trading societybegun by Sussex Associated Farmers Ltd. (fn. 37)  By1970 it belonged to the wholesalers Nurdin andPeacock, who replaced the cattle shed with a large’cash and carry’ warehouse. (fn. 38)

A market was held illegally on Fontwell racecourse carpark on Sundays between 1975 and1977 (fn. 39)  and was revived legally on Fridays in 1991. (fn. 40)

Other trades and industries.

Trades mentioned in Eastergate before 1800 included thoseof smith, (fn. 41)  brewer, (fn. 42)  butcher, (fn. 43)  mariner, tinker, (fn. 44) wheelwright, (fn. 45)  and tailor. (fn. 46)  A tanner was recordedin the mid 16th century, (fn. 47)  and a fellmonger in1662 dealt in wool and various sorts of hides. (fn. 48) The house and workshop surrounded by roadson all sides in 1596 (fn. 49)  presumably occupied theisland site at the junction of Church Lane andNyton Road where a grocer’s shop flourishedfrom 1845 (fn. 50)  or earlier. An excise officer wasmentioned in 1770. (fn. 51)

In the early 19th century the trades of butcher,baker, brewer, carpenter, wheelwright, shoemaker, grocer, and draper were represented. Agrocer in the early 1850s dealt in corn and coal.There was a music master in 1819. (fn. 52)  One familyout of five or six in work was supported chieflyby activities other than agriculture in 1811 andin 1831. (fn. 53)  In 1851 there were also a gardener, abasket maker, and two bricklayers. (fn. 54)

The grocer’s business at the junction of ChurchLane and Nyton Road belonged for many yearsin the 19th and 20th centuries to the Collinsfamily. Between the 1870s and 90s WilliamCollins was also butcher, baker, dairyman, anddraper, and kept the post office. In 1878 hefarmed land himself, and in 1886 he sold bootsand shoes, glass and earthenware. (fn. 55)

After 1864 some parishioners worked on therailway, in 1881 at least six. (fn. 56)  Barnham station alsoserved for the distribution of heavy goods. Thelandlord of the Railway inn, later hotel, dealt incoal from 1874 or earlier, (fn. 57)  and there was a ‘coalwharf’ in the station yard by 1886. (fn. 58)  A firm ofbuilders’ merchants had arrived by 1922. (fn. 59)  Coaland fuel were still distributed in 1992.

Barnham market, itself owing its existence tothe railway, brought ancillary businesses. Therewas a milk contractor near the station in 1895and a corn merchant and a horse dealer by1899. (fn. 60)  By 1895 the Arundel ironmonger AlfredPain ran an agency for agricultural implementsin the station approach. (fn. 61)  The corn merchantAlfred Cortis had premises in the station yardby 1907, at first also dealing in coal. (fn. 62)  By 1956the firm of Alfred Cortis Ltd. had taken overmuch of the former market buildings, sellinginter alia grain, seeds, fertilizers, and animalfeed. (fn. 63)  One branch bank had come to Eastergateby 1905, by 1907 there were two, and by 1913three, all open on market day only; by 1915 theywere open on Fridays as well. (fn. 64)

Other trades recorded in the later 19th centurywere those of dressmaker, firewood dealer, (fn. 65)  andharness maker. (fn. 66)  There was a laundry by 1887. (fn. 67) No smith is recorded at that period, but besidesthe smithy in Barnham there were two othersjust beyond the parish boundary at Westergatein Aldingbourne. (fn. 68)  In the early 20th centurythere were a florist, a cycle agent, a saddler, (fn. 69) and a firm of engineers. (fn. 70)  Several retail businesses settled near the station from the early 20thcentury. (fn. 71)

There was a brickfield of unknown location inthe mid 19th century. (fn. 72)  A brickyard was openedin Elm Grove South to serve the developmentof West Barnham for building after c. 1900; (fn. 73) clay continued to be dug there until 1950. (fn. 74)  Thefirm of West and Dart was responsible for muchof that development between c. 1905 and 1910; (fn. 75) W. H. Dart later continued by himself as builderand contractor, plumber, painter, and housedecorator. (fn. 76)  Another builder and decorator, whowas also a hot water and sanitary engineer, hadpremises at Fontwell. (fn. 77)  Further builders wererecorded in the 1930s (fn. 78)  and estate agents fromthe earlier 20th century; (fn. 79)  there was an architectin the parish in 1903. (fn. 80)

Two larger businesses which began near Barnhamstation expanded far beyond the parish. JamesL. Penfold (fn. 81)  set up as an engineer by 1905 inopposition to his family’s firm at Arundel. Frompremises east of the market (fn. 82)  he at first sold andserviced farm machinery and undertook contractthreshing, but the agricultural connexion wasgradually relinquished as the firm diversifiedinto haulage, dealing in builders’ supplies, andsand and gravel quarrying in Eastergate, Slindon, Eartham, Washington, and the Midhurstarea. In the 1930s the business was divided intothe Barnham Transport Co. Ltd. and PenfoldsBuilders Merchants Ltd.; the Penfold MetallisingCo. was formed in 1947 and Penfolds ReadyMixed Concrete Ltd. in the 1950s. In 1960 therewere a depot at West Worthing and wharves atLittlehampton, Shoreham, and Newhaven, andin 1965 one company within the group operatedfour ships dredging marine gravel in the Solent.Nearly 150 people were employed in all in 1960and c. 250 in 1965. The business’s connexionwith Eastergate ceased after 1967. (fn. 83)

Gerald Toynbee after 1918 formed a haulagecompany called by 1927 F. & G. Toynbee. (fn. 84)  Itlater diversified into general civil engineeringcontracting, and by 1963 was a large organizationundertaking construction throughout southernEngland, including house building, road building, and drainage works. A plant hire subsidiarycompany was formed in 1962. (fn. 85)  The firm left theparish in 1971. (fn. 86)

The market-gardening business of J. H. Robinson,later Langmead, Robinson and Co., besides theretail shop mentioned above later included ahaulage business. (fn. 87)

S. S. Marshall of Barnham Nurseries Ltd. alsopractised as a solicitor in 1905. Two physiciansand surgeons were recorded in 1909 and dentistsfrom 1927. There were two insurance agents in1934. (fn. 88)

In 1965 the population of West Barnham waslargely retired; some people travelled daily towork in London and other towns, but mostworkers were employed locally. (fn. 89)  By 1992, withthe growth of population, the ‘dormitory’ function of the parish had greatly developed.

The railway station in 1976 had a staff of 41. (fn. 90) By 1977 there was an engineering works onBarnham Road between West Barnham andEastergate village and another in the anglebetween Fontwell Avenue and Wandleys Lane. (fn. 91) By 1992 both sites had become small industrialestates (fn. 92)  with six or seven firms at each. The siteformerly occupied by Penfold’s and Toynbee’sbusinesses at the same date accommodated several firms particularly representing the leisureindustry.

A new shopping centre was built in BarnhamRoad on former nursery land c. 1983. (fn. 93)  In 1992it had 13 businesses including a supermarket andan Indian restaurant, and together with othershops in Barnham Road provided a wide varietyof retail goods. Besides the grocer’s and postoffice at the corner of Church Lane and NytonRoad mentioned above, there were then also ashop nearby selling game, fish, and smokedfoods, (fn. 94)  and a general store in Fontwell Avenue.

In 1992 there were three banks, two firms ofsolicitors, and a firm of accountants in the parish,besides two medical practices, two dentists, a vet,and a ‘natural health’ clinic. At the same date therewere two or three riding establishments alongand to the east of Fontwell Avenue, and acaravan park beside Wandleys Lane. (fn. 95)

In addition to the builder’s business at Fontwellin the north end of the parish mentioned above,a post office was opened there in the early 20thcentury, moving to the part of Fontwell inWalberton parish in 1968. (fn. 96)

LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

There are courtrolls for Eastergate manor for the years 1341-2, (fn. 97) various years between 1462 and 1535, (fn. 98)  and theyears 1543, 1548, 1550, (fn. 99)  1617-19, (fn. 1)  and 1660-1874; (fn. 2)  a view of frankpledge was held between1543 and 1550 and a sheriff’s tourn in 1548, butotherwise the records are of the court baron. Inthe late 15th century courts were held up to threetimes a year, in the 16th and 17th centuries oftentwice yearly in spring and autumn, and betweenthe late 17th and early 19th usually only once ayear. After the late 17th century there wassometimes no business, and from 1762 muchbusiness was conducted out of court. From 1810courts were held less regularly, the last in 1855.The place of holding the court in the mid 17thcentury and presumably at other dates was thehall of Manor Farmhouse. (fn. 3)

In the 1340s, when the court’s jurisdictioncovered Sées abbey’s lands in Littlehampton andAtherington in Climping as well as Eastergate,a plea of trespass was heard on at least oneoccasion. Between the 15th century and the 18th,besides land transactions, the court dealt withthe management of the common fields andwastes (fn. 4)  and the repair of houses, (fn. 5)  hedges, andditches. (fn. 6)  Between 1486 and 1519 it elected two’curemen’, (fn. 7)  and in 1618 the reeve. (fn. 8)  The view offrankpledge in the 1540s held the assize of breadand of ale, inspected leather, saw to road repairs,and elected the headborough; a case of assaultwas heard in 1548. Other officers mentionedwere a beadle in the 15th century, (fn. 9)  and a bailiffbetween the later 15th and 18th centuries, (fn. 10)  whoin 1535 also served on Syon abbey’s manors ofAtherington in Climping and Ecclesden inAngmering. (fn. 11)  The office of reeve had existed by1229, (fn. 12)  and in the 1610s was filled by rotationamong the tenants of houses in the village street.The headborough in 1536 also representedAtherington. (fn. 13)  A tithingman still served in1822. (fn. 14)

There were apparently always two churchwardens in the period 1548-1662 and from1883, but from 1664 to 1882 there was usuallyonly one. (fn. 15)  In 1579 the office rotated by holdings. (fn. 16)

Some poor children at least were apprenticedin 1644, (fn. 17)  and a parish poorhouse existed in theearly 19th century in the angle between FontwellAvenue and Eastergate Lane; (fn. 18)  by 1845 it waslet as cottages (fn. 19)  and it was later demolished.

The parish joined Westhampnett union, laterrural district, in 1835; from 1933 it was inChichester rural district (fn. 20)  and from 1974 in Arundistrict.

CHURCH.

There was a church in 1086, (fn. 21)  whichby 1087 belonged to Sées abbey (Orne). (fn. 22)  Itremained a rectory. From 1983 it was held withBarnham by a single priest in charge, (fn. 23)  and in1985 Aldingbourne, Barnham, and Eastergatebecame one benefice, the parishes remainingdistinct. In 1992 the three parishes were unitedas the parish of Aldingbourne, Barnham, andEastergate. (fn. 24)

The advowson descended with the manor, (fn. 25) remaining, however, with the dean and chapterof Chichester after 1860. (fn. 26)  The Crown exercised it between 1348 and 1421 because of thewar with France, (fn. 27)  George Benyon and HenryBlaxton each presented for a turn in the later16th century, and William Cawley the regicideand Richard Boughton together in 1657. (fn. 28)  After 1985 the patronage of the united livingbelonged jointly to the dean and chapter andthe bishop. (fn. 29)

The living was worth £10 in 1291 (fn. 30)  and £8 orless in 1440; it remained impoverished in 1513 (fn. 31) and was valued at £6 14s. 8d. in 1535. (fn. 32)  By 1473the rector paid £1 yearly to the lady of themanor, (fn. 33)  the Crown maintaining the right to thepayment after the manor was granted away in1560. (fn. 34)  Rent was also paid to the manor for glebein 1473 and later. (fn. 35)

A rectory house of unknown site was mentionedin 1473; (fn. 36)  in 1635 it had 7 rooms. (fn. 37)  It may nolonger have been used in 1724, (fn. 38)  and in 1758had been so much out of repair for many yearsas not to be habitable. (fn. 39)  It had been demolished by c. 1830. (fn. 40)  A new house was built inChurch Lane in the early 1840s; (fn. 41)  it is partlyof flint and partly rendered, in Tudor style. Itwas enlarged in 1882-3 (fn. 42)  but was replaced in1976 by a building in Barnham Road nearerthe centre of population. (fn. 43)

Between the mid 16th century and the 19th therector had glebe estimated at between 10 and 20a. (fn. 44)  and all the tithes of the parish. (fn. 45)  Between the16th century and the 18th he also had commonrights for 20 sheep. (fn. 46)  The glebe was widelyscattered in 1615 (fn. 47)  and later; (fn. 48)  part was sold toredeem land tax in 1803 (fn. 49)  and two outlying plotswere exchanged for other land in 1848. (fn. 50)

The real value of the living was said to be £50in 1649 (fn. 51)  and £52 in 1724. (fn. 52)  By c. 1830 it wason average £308 net. (fn. 53)  At the commutation oftithes in 1845 the rector received a rent chargeof £370. (fn. 54)

The rector resided apparently in 1440 (fn. 55)  andcertainly in 1563. (fn. 56)  Assistant curates were apparently recorded in the mid 16th century. (fn. 57) Between that date and the early 19th centuryincumbents often held other benefices, usuallyalso in the West Sussex coastal plain, (fn. 58)  and asdean and chapter appointees they sometimesserved as prebendary (fn. 59)  or vicar choral of Chichester cathedral. (fn. 60)

The rector in 1579 was failing to supply thesermons required, either himself or throughothers, and to instruct children in the catechism, (fn. 61) and a successor in 1622 was presented for omission of services; (fn. 62)  in the following year twoparishioners were letting out seats in the churchfor money. (fn. 63)  Augustine Payne, instituted 1631,was ejected in the 1650s in favour of a ‘preacherof the gospel’ but restored in 1660. (fn. 64)

In 1724 a service with sermon was held eachSunday and communion celebrated three timesa year with c. 6 communicants. (fn. 65)  The then rectorThomas Wellings (d. 1736) was buried on hisother cure of Aldingbourne, where he had presumably lived. (fn. 66)  Between the mid 18th centuryand the mid 19th, for lack of a suitable house,his successors perhaps always resided outside theparish, (fn. 67)  and in 1758 the incumbent was said notto perform services himself more often thanevery two months. (fn. 68)

Between 1798 and 1849 successive rectors wereresidentiary canons at Chichester, one servingalso as precentor, and had other livings besides. (fn. 69) During that period the church was served byassistant curates or the clergy of neighbouringparishes; (fn. 70)  the curate in 1838 was not residenteither, (fn. 71)  but in 1845 the rector lived in the newrectory house. (fn. 72)  Two Sunday services were heldfrom c. 1832 (fn. 73)  and communion five times a yearby 1844, monthly by 1884, and twice monthlyby 1898. (fn. 74)  On Census Sunday 1851 morningservice was attended by 95 besides Sundayschoolchildren and afternoon service by 130. (fn. 75)  Abarrel organ had been installed by 1841. (fn. 76)

The church’s position near the western edgeof the parish led some parishioners to useBarnham church at the end of the 19th century,while residents of Westergate in Aldingbourneattended at Eastergate. (fn. 77)  At the same periodthe existence of a Salvation Army barracks atWestergate was claimed to foster ‘a very irreligious irreverent feeling’ among many youngparishioners. (fn. 78)

The church in 1993 could be approached onlythrough the farmyard of Manor farm; the granary belonging to the farm was used for churchpurposes from the 1970s. (fn. 79)  There were bothSunday and weekday services in 1995.

The church of ST. GEORGE     (fn. 80)  consists ofchancel and nave with north vestry and westbellcot. The walls are mostly pebbledashed overrubble and an exposed part of the south wall ofthe chancel is of Roman brick laid in herringbone pattern. The bellcot is shingled.

The chancel is late 11th- or early 12th-century,one original window surviving in the northwall. (fn. 81)  The nave is probably of similar datethough with no features earlier than the blocked14th-century north doorway. There are twomuch restored 13th-century windows in thesouth wall of the chancel, and the east windowis 14th-century. There are 15th-century windows in the south wall of the nave, and the westwindow and doorway date from 1534 whenmoney was left to enlarge the church at the westend by 12 ft. (3.7 metres) and to construct a newthree-light window. (fn. 82)  The crown-post nave roofis also 16th-century, and the chancel roof isprobably 17th-century.

In 1776 the nave was in good repair thoughthe chancel was ‘very ruinous’. (fn. 83)  A west galleryfor the schoolchildren had been inserted by1856. (fn. 84)  The chancel was conservatively restoredin 1876-7, the roof being raised. (fn. 85)  In 1883 thenave was restored and reseated, the gallery presumably removed, and the bellcot re-erected atthe west end; a vestry was also built (fn. 86)  but wasreplaced by new vestries c. 1925. (fn. 87)

There were remains of 11th-century architectural and figure painting on the north wall ofthe chancel in 1907, (fn. 88)  and a window in the southwall of the nave has armorial stained glass datablec. 1360 with the FitzAlan arms. (fn. 89)  Some medievalbenches with poppy heads survived in 1776, (fn. 90)  butby 1847 the church was ‘full of hideous highpews’ (fn. 91)  later replaced. The communion rails are18th-century and there are two early 19th-centuryGothic priests’ stalls. The east window commemorates Lord Kitchener (d. 1916). (fn. 92)

The single bell of 1737 is by Joshua Kiplingof Portsmouth. (fn. 93)  There are a silver communioncup probably of 1568 and a silver paten of 1798. (fn. 94) The registers begin in 1564. (fn. 95)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

The dean and chapterof Chichester’s lessee William Rose and twoother parishioners were indicted for recusancybetween 1605 and 1615 (fn. 96)  and single recusants onthree dates between 1669 and 1767. (fn. 97)  The churchof Blessed (later St.) Philip Howard next to thepresent St. Philip Howard R.C. school wasregistered for worship in 1970; (fn. 98)  it was served atfirst from Slindon but by 1992 had replaced thechurch there as the parish church. (fn. 99)

PROTESTANT NONCONFORMITY.

Therewere five Dissenters in 1676. (fn. 1)  In 1903 someparishioners attended Salvation Army servicesat Westergate in Aldingbourne. (fn. 2)  Methodist serviceswere held at the market room of Barnhammarket in the parish from 1923, but later movedto Barnham. (fn. 3)

EDUCATION.

An unlicensed teacher was recorded in 1600, (fn. 4)  and in 1758 there was a schoolin which the catechism was taught; (fn. 5)  it may havebeen the same school which was supported bythe rector and assistant curate in 1818, whenthere were 12 pupils. (fn. 6)

Eastergate National school was started in 1829and in 1833 was attended by 15 boys and 18girls. (fn. 7)  A new building was built on part of theglebe between 1838 and 1845; (fn. 8)  of one storey, itwas similar in style and materials to the contemporary rectory house nearby. About 1845 therewere 98 children on the books from Eastergate,Aldingbourne, and Barnham. (fn. 9)  The school continued to serve Aldingbourne until at least 1865 (fn. 10) and Barnham until 1906. (fn. 11)  In 1855 it was supported by school pence and subscriptions, theshortfall being made up by the rector, (fn. 12)  and in1859 it had 46 pupils. (fn. 13)

After several years’ suspension (fn. 14)  the school wasreopened as Eastergate and Barnham C.E. schoolin 1873. (fn. 15)  Average attendance was 43 in 1875-6 (fn. 16) and 75 in 1905-6; (fn. 17)  in 1880 there was a lendinglibrary. (fn. 18)  After the opening of Barnham councilschool average attendance fell to 55 in 1921-2and 51 in 1937-8. (fn. 19)  The school was later calledEastergate C.E. (controlled) primary school. Anew building near the Wilkes Head inn, the firstcompletely open-plan design in West Sussex,was opened in 1970, (fn. 20)  the old building becomingfirst a school of arts and dancing (fn. 21)  and later aprivate house. (fn. 22)  There were 114 children on theroll in 1993. (fn. 23)

A private school or ‘seminary’ existed in theparish between 1855 and 1862. (fn. 24)

An evening school for older children washeld occasionally in the 1860s, (fn. 25)  and c. 1880there was another. (fn. 26)  From 1958 the parish wasserved by Westergate secondary modernschool, (fn. 27)  but in the following year the Blessed(later St.) Philip Howard R.C. secondaryschool was opened, originally for senior Roman Catholic boys and girls from the Catholicparishes of Chichester, Arundel, Slindon,Bognor Regis, and Littlehampton; (fn. 28)  the choiceof site was evidently due to easy rail communication, since neither Barnham nor Eastergatehad a notable Catholic tradition. The buildings were later extended. In 1982, when theintake was comprehensive, there were 750 onthe roll, mostly Catholics; the school was thenalso used for adult education classes. (fn. 29)  In 1993the roll numbered 659. (fn. 30)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

None known.

From: ‘Eastergate’, A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 5 Part 1: Arundel Rape: south-western part, including Arundel (1997), pp. 148-160. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22942&strquery=  Date accessed: 11 July 2012.

Advertisements
Categories: Local History Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: